|Ultrasound Instruction Leaflet|
|Contrast Material:||Not Required|
Upper abdomen, kidneys, lower abdomen:
- Tumor-related or inflammatory changes
- Benign and malignant tumors
- Cysts (cavities filled with fluid)
- Stones (bile duct, kidneys)
- Enlargement of the liver and the spleen
- Shape, size and volume of the prostate gland or uterus
- Free fluid in the abdominal cavity
The examination is usually performed with the patient in facing up. An ultrasound gel is applied to your skin for every examination. This establishes contact between the transducer and the body. Your doctor then moves the transducer over the area under evaluation and obtains snapshot images.
An ultrasound procedure is absolutely painless and takes between 5 to 15 minutes, depending on the number of areas being evaluated. Patients only have to wipe of the gel with a towel after the examination.